Thursday 5 June 2014

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt

My bags are packed, my boarding pass in printed and my goodbyes said. My Mom has just whatsapped me asking how I feel and honestly...odd.
Crying my way through the airport  and getting on the plane over a year and a half ago I never would have envisaged being here today or even to be moving back to the UK with Stylight.


Anyway I had this idea a few weeks ago and decided to share...a fun little list of just a few of my experiences in the Mighty Munchen (one for every month of living here);

  1. My first solo flight.
  2. An authentic German Christmas market - if you're from Birmingham you'll be familiar with the wonderful German market we have each Christmas and this  point feels like a little lie as that is also authentic but Tollwood is another level. This was also the first time I found myself picking up the language when I subconsciously said 'Entschuldigung' in the crowd and turned to a friend to ask what it meant!
  3. German classes - even if I am still a little rusty! - I had never spoke a word of it until I moved here.
  4. My first New Year away from home.
  5. Graduated - all be it I  wasn't in Germany but it happened in this time none the less, and I'm pretty darn proud of it!
  6. Went from Intern to trainee and made the slightly larger decision to stay in Munich on a much more permanent basis!
  7. Ski-ing - imagine Bridget Jones ski-ing, then times in by ten...ich bin nicht gut!
  8. Brezel and Lebkuchen - my weaknesses which led to the following point...
  9. Weight gain - I was one of those fairly lucky souls that could eat whatever she wanted...and then I moved to Munich. Sitting at a desk all day is not good for me or my chocolate consumption, which led to the next one (talk about smooth transitions!).
  10. Joined a gym...until Feb 2013 I had.never.stepped.foot.in.a.gym. Ever since that fateful day we've had a roller coaster of a relationship, I started off keen but then point 11 happened and motivation was lost...
  11. A real summer, the Englischer garten, outdoor swimming pools and swimming in rivers - the Isaar to be precise. When its 30 degrees and your lay in the Englischer garten nothing compares to jumping in the Icey water to cool off (although do be careful its a pretty strong tide). Somehow I don't think I'll be diving in the Thames this July!
  12. Many visits to Austria,Vienna, Salzburg, Innsbruck...and multiple times.
  13. Brought (and learnt to love) a Dirndl.
  14. Experienced the infamous Oktober and Fruhlingsfest. And acquired a little taste for beer.
  15. Fell in love.
  16. Went to Amsterdam for the first time - of many I hope. I freaking love that city!
  17. Visited Berlin - it was a complete fly in visit but I had the best experience. I really want to go back but I don't want to  ruin my memory of it.
  18. Realised how incredible my friends and family are, when they jump on a plane at the drop of hat.
  19. Met some absolutely wonderful people whom have completely made my entire experience, I feel lucky to have friends from all over the world and to have made some true friends for life. I think I'mma have lots of visitors in London town!
  20. And finally (one for luck!) I will be heading back to London a Manager!
Turns out getting on that plane wasn't such a bad idea after all.
I wanted to include some photo's of all the memories I have made here but it turned out there are quite a lot so I thought this made more sense...


2 comments:

  1. thiiiis is the cutest post ever Lauren :) you can always come visit me in Berlin and I'll make sure you'll have a great time there ;) see ya at Oktoberfest!! loots of love, miss you <3

    ReplyDelete